Tuesday 10 February 2015

Wordless Wednesday w Linky

February 11,2015


                                                              Old or Antique ?


As I am pretty much house bound, except for shoveling and snow blowing,I have not had the occasion to go out for new photos.  I decided to take advantage  of  chattels  around  our house  from an earlier time and use them for my "WW" photos. Important Notice: I am NOT including shots of my Hubby or myself. We may be mature, but definitely don't fit the "antique" description!

Each of these items are well seasoned, and  are not functional now . They do, however, serve as interesting conversation pieces.


This statue on a marble base has been in my husband's family  as long as he can remember.  It is made of some type of metal (?brass) and I was told it has been painted a  gold tone.
What I do know is that it is VERY heavy and is not moved often!  A brass plate on the base states it is called "L'Automne by/par Noon." There is great detail on this little lady as noted with the delicate finger and toe nails.   Sometimes it is just a nuisance, but can't bring myself to discard it.



I would be willing to bet that many of you ( much younger) people  would have no idea what the next photo is.  It, or a similar version, could be found in just about every home at one time, or so I have been told. It even predates my parents! There are a two more pieces to go with this but in an attempt to de- clutter, am only displaying two. It is  called a porcelain Bath Set.   It was in storage  when we were younger and raising a family but now it's a bit safer to  display as a memento of another era.




And lastly, this chafing dish was a wedding gift to my paternal grandparents....... in 1910! Still in pretty good shape for 115 years old.   I have never used it for its intended purpose, but treasure it none the less.




I could do a full post on each of these items, but for now will settle for this.
Hope you have enjoyed this pictorial journey through time. See you again next week. :-)



17 comments:

  1. I have a couple of antiques that I was gifted for my 21st, including an old antique kitchen dresser. It fits all my wedding gifts (married almost 20 years) perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice to hear, MC. Not sure what a kitchen dresser is but will have to google it. Bet I would love it. Tks for commenting all the way from Perth Australia.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. I love the antiques that are still in your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patrick, I know they're not for everyone, but I value their heritage. Have a good week.

      Delete
  3. What lovely antique pieces you have! I too love anything old and dishes are my favorite! Wishing you a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting LM. Old dishes are also a weakness of mine. Have a wonderful day/week.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and interesting :-)

    Have a antiquetastic week and thanks for wafting by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a great week as well, Steve and glad you "wafted" over our way!

      Delete
  5. Those are beautiful pieces! Love the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely one of a kind.... I think. Tks for taking the time to comment ,pixiedusk

      Delete
  6. I love the bath set...my grandmother used to have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MrsTee, it is special to me as well. Appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  7. Great pics! You don't always have to go OUT for pics! :)

    http://www.homeofohm.com/2015/02/peek-at-my-week-wordlesswednesday-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, OHM, with the weather we have been enduring won't be going out for awhile!!

      Delete
  8. Awesome antiques, it's amazing how these beautiful treasures have survived for so long. I particularly love the chafing dish, it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Monica. Imagine our grandmother , or "Mum" , as she liked to be called, serving something special to her company!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete